Search
  • amoneta4

Nottingham: The town of two cities

Since the building of the Nottingham Castle in 1068 by the French Normans, until the demolition of the Market Wall in 1714-15, two communities lived in Nottingham: the Anglo-Saxon English borough in the Lace Market area, and the French-Norman borough in the opposite hill close to the Castle. Specifically, the two Boroughs were divided by a Wall that used to be an administrative and legal boundary of the two boroughs but also a physical division of the Market’s large space.

Nottingham during all this time was ruled by one Major and two Sheriffs; it would be interesting to know: what Sheriff was dealing with the legend of Robin Hood then?









13 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All